Berl was founded in Paris in 1858 and opened a first branch at Clairvaux in the Aube region followed by a second in Luxembourg in 1872, at former cavalry barracks (“Reiter-Kaseren”) at Pfaffenthal to be more precise.
At the time, production focussed mainly on manufacturing wrought iron beds and bases and furniture such as tables and chairs for local authorities.
After a fire had destroyed the facilities in 1882, A. Berl & Cie moved to premises opposite the central railway station,centrale,
on the site of the current Rue d’Epernay, just next to the Champagne Mercier factory. The company’s product range developed and took in garden furniture, furniture for schools and even toboggans and garden accessories such as flower pot stands, garden benches, etc. At this time the workforce sometimes rose as high as 100.
In 1937, after the City of Luxembourg authorities had passed a new general development plan which included plans to extend the Rue d’Epernay as far as the Place de la Gare, Berl was forced to make room and moved its facilities in Luxembourg to the Rue de Cessange.
After the Second World War, it was here that, as well as its manufacturing business, the company was to start trading in office furniture and furniture for local authorities. Later on we also started selling facilities for banks, safes and fireproof cabinets, fixed and movable shelves and furniture for computers and for hospitals.
After spending 65 years in the Rue de Cessange, we are moving to Contern on the edge of the Weiergewan business area, to number 22, in the Rue Edmond Reuter where we have had our building constructed. This is the sixth site in Berl’s history and the fourth in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
We specialise in the manufacturing of metal furniture and other products made of carbon steels, stainless steel and aluminium (convector covers, coverings for machines and lifts, furniture for local authorities, etc.) and with our manufacturing process using numerically controlled machines combined with CAD/CAM, we can make parts from design right through to production.
The flexibility of this manufacturing process also means that BERL & Cie can offer a huge range of products, making us the partner of choice for a large number of banks, design and engineering departments and firms, general contractors and local authorities.
BERL & Cie is well-known for its very high quality products and has decided to improve its performances still further by acquiring new premises (more than 2500 m²) a painting facility using thermosetting powder and an automated punching cell, both of which are the only ones of their kind in the Grand Duchy.
This will provide BERL & Cie with optimum working conditions, thus maintaining our high level of accuracy and quality in producing our products. In other words: the best possible conditions for fulfilling the needs of our huge customer base.
BERL & Cie also has a sales department specialising in sales and office layout, shelves, clinical furniture, safes and fireproof cabinets, cloakrooms and furniture for canteens.